Doughboy Foundation Home
previous arrow
next arrow


Austin P. STORY
Capt., 332nd Inf., Co. "I"

Submitted by Elizabeth M. Story, granddaughter of Austin P. Story

STORY AP 332nd OhioSoldiers v17p168322

ap story 332 portrait ca1919 for webpageWe called our grandfather “Faddy”, German for father.   Born and raised, with a lifetime spent in Chillicothe, OH, he had not a speck of German heritage. Yet his World War I experience in Italy versus Austria influenced even this part of his life.  A member of the 332nd Regiment, years later his black car’s license plate had 332 proudly displayed before AS, initials for Austin Story.

     Reading the 50th Anniversary of World War I article he wrote for the Chillicothe Gazette we found his entertaining reminiscences of this most influential part of his life. A few of its facts are as follows. Austin trained at Ft. Benjamin Harrison in Indiana to become an officer, eventually captain.  He returned to Chillicothe in August 1917, “where his Army adventures began in earnest.” The article talked about the 60,000 men at Camp Sherman, the organization of the infantry, its companies, battalions, and Regiments 331 and 332. Funny training experiences were recounted.  Today we can still see Mt. Logan, which had been the location of their rifle range.  Soldiers from Camp Sherman went to England, then France where the 332nd was chosen to go to Italy as part of the 31st Italian Division, British Army. Austin also met our grandmother Cordelia through the 332nd.  She was the daughter of Col. William Wallace who had led the 332nd troops in their fight at the Piave River against the Austrians.

     Often called “A.P.”, Faddy’s wartime patriotism colored his sense of duty and commitment to his hometown community throughout his life.  He was part of the start of a paper mill, was charter member and first commander of the American Legion, active in the Elks, Rotary, and Hospital Board. He was a devout Episcopalian.

     When the Vietnam War became so controversial in the late 60’s, as a young college student so opposed to it, we had many heated discussions on the subject. He always ended them with “My country, right or wrong, but always my country”. 

AP Story portrait Co I book editedAP Story text Co I book for website
From Company "I", 332nd Infantry in the great World War

Excerpts from Captain Story's diary

AP Story diary IMAGES comp

Nov 2/18

…nothing in front of us but Austrians.  At 2AM we marched out, 1st Bn at advance guard preceeded by 12 platoons in skirmish line as a screen.  Crossed Livenza at 3AM.  At 5AM we halted near Prata, heard much firing to our front and Austrians blowing up munitions. Our advance screen could not gain contact altho we marched fast all day.

Crossed Meduna river in file over logs as all bridges were down.  Had a mighty hard days march, going into bivouac near Cimpello at 4PM.

Marched from 2AM to 4PM – 14 hrs, heavy packs on iron rations.  Passed many more dead Austrians & equipment.  Tonight 1st & 2nd Bns in front line – 3rd in reserve.  Major Vaughn & I had a feather bed in a farm house.  Never did a bed feel as good.  The linen is always clean.  The people only have corn meal & a few chickens left.

Men slept by their arms, bayonets fixed.  No lights or noise.

Marched 23 km.

Nov 3/18

Early in morning Maj. Vaughn received orders to be the advance guard (our Bn) of the 31st Italian Division and to pass Fiume Veneto at 9AM.  Well we passed at 940 , the rest of the regiment was ahead of us, but there we passed the other 2 Bns and Maj. Vaughn was placed in arrest for being late.

Colonel Wallace put me in command of the Bn.  We proceeded  to Valvasone, where we were in the front line on the Tagliamento, with the 2nd Bn on our right, 1st Bn in reserve.

The British 7th Div. on my left and I established liaison with them.  I put Co. M out along the river as outposts.

I had order to find a ford and put one company across the river for the night.  I sent Lt. Nearn with the Bn scouts to the river, they crossed and saw over a regiment of Austrians without arms.  Some enemy officers approached Nearn and told him that an armistice was on and the river bank did contain several white flags.  They gave him a note from their colonel advising of the armistice.  I reported the facts to the C.O. but at the same time sent Nearn and two platoons of K Co. under Capt. White with message to Austrian Colonel to come to my Hq.

Col. Wallace gave me orders at about 8PM not to send a company across the river.  I was the surprised to hear from Scanland that he was attacking at 500 AM.  The Austrian Colonel did not come over,  evidently learning of the attack planned for next morning.

I, K & L Cos. bivouaced in the fields.  My Hq were in a farm house.

Marched 24 Km.

Nov 4/18

At about 520 AM heard enemy MG fire on our right, then Italian artillery and our machine guns and some musketry.  Learned that Scanland had crossed the river Tagliamento, with 1 dead and four or five wounded.  He met with no resistance after crossing and pursued the enemy for about 7 miles.

At 9AM we received orders to river where C O notified us that our armistice with Austria had been signed and hostilities ceased at 3 PM today.

We pitched camp in beautiful field near the river.

Major Vaughn is still with us, but in arrest.  I now have a horse to ride which helps some.

Marched 2½ KM.

Nov 5/18

Today marched back to Valvasone to go into billets.  Got very comfortably settled in Mayor’s house.

Marched 3 KM

Nov 6/18

No rest for the wicked   Ordered to leave Valvasone and join regiment on Ponte della Delizia over Tagliamento.  Started at 11AM.  Ate dinner on the road.  Made a very tedious crossing of river in single file over the wreckage of the bridge. and as we had to follow an Italian brigade we had a helluva march.  Stop and start, stop and start continually with no regular halts or rests.  Tried to serve supper on the road but only about half the men had time to eat as we were forced to keep right on the tail of the Dagoes with no interval. We kept this up to 4AM.  Crossing broken bridges in single file.  The men had no chance to take off their packs from 7PM to 4AM.   They were dead tired and footsore.  That night will always be a night-mare to us.  At the little stops the men would drop in their tracks & go to sleep.  I would doze on my horse’s neck.

At 4AM we went in a field and the men slept where they fell out until 6AM.  My adjutant Lt. A. O. Smith & I had a nice bed in a farm house for two hours.

Marched 35 KM

Nov 7/18

Marched out at 10AM for Lovaria, arriving about 3PM, where the men were billeted in barns.  Smith & I got a nice room with twin beds, where the women cooked us two chickens etc.

Marched 11KM

Nov 8/18

Left Lovaria at 11AM arrived at camp site near Ipplis at 4 30 PM , crossing the Natisone river. Our camp is on an old Austrian maneuver field, where they had dug practice trenches and had bayonet courses.  A beautiful place but cold at night.

Smith and I again had a nice room in a farm house. They cook us fine meals chicken, turkey, potatoes, cabbage, wine etc.

.  .  .

_____ _____


Return to "332nd Inf. Soldier Profiles" Page 2

Return to "332nd Inf. Soldier Profiles" main page