Doughboy Foundation Home
previous arrow
next arrow

_____      _____


Raymond L. SHADE
Pvt., 332nd Inf., Co. "I"

Submitted by Kevin Shade, grandson of Raymond L. Shade

SHADE Raymond L OhioSoldiers v15p155112

Raymond Shade and Chet Fisher
Raymond Leroy Shade's WWI diary 1917-19

Left Columbus April 29th for Camp Sherman arriving same date. Was assigned to Depot Brigade April 29th

Transferred to L. Co. May 6th 332nd Regiment 83thd Division Camp Sherman.

Left Camp Sherman for Camp Merritt May 25th, Arrived at Camp Merritt New Jersey May 26

Left Camp Merritt June 6th 1918.

Went on board Aquitania June 6th laid in port two days and the 8th day of June 1918 left U.S.A. for Liverpool Eng. from New York Harbor, Cunard Dock No. 18. Was escorted out about four hours from above port by 6 submarine destroyers after that was left to the protection of our own 6 inch guns on board on either end of our ship. feed bad.

We again come in submarine waters the 12th day of June mid-ocean, none sighted however but the crew was on guard every minute working in shifts.

On June 13th saw life belts floating in water.

On the night of June 1[4]th ship sailed around in circle waiting for convoys to pick us up and escort us into port. feed worse.

On Friday June 14th caught up with convoys three U.S destroyers who in turn took up their relative position one on either side of the boat and one in front. there was now very little chance of submarine attacks.

On the following day June 15th we arrived in Liverpool Eng. at 5:00 A.M. making the trip in 7 days flat. After unloading marched about half mile to railroad station where we entrained for Southampton Eng. arriving there same date by the England and Northwestern R.R. at 10:00 P.M. and then hiked to rest camp No.1.

On Sunday June 16th had the best meal since arriving in Europe, also first beer.

On the evening of June 16 Left Southampton Eng. for Le Havre France via the English Channel arriving at Le Havre the 17th at 6:00 A.M. unloading at Le Havre and hiked to rest camp No. 2., here we got a glimpse of the first prisoners of war that we had seen, remained at Le Havre three days.

On June 18th wrote first letter to Francis since coming over.

France RLShade
June 20th left Le Havre for Gen. Pershings Hdq. at Chaumont France arriving there June 22nd. without detraining moved on south about four miles to Foulain and there detrained and were moved by U.S. Army trucks to Essey Les Eaux a distance of about ten miles. here we were billeted in different quarters some in houses some in barns, others out in tents anywhere there might be any available space for a few men we were treated as best the peasants of this village could. This was then made our permanent quarters while remaining in France.

Between this and July 26th were spent miserable drilling hiking and hard work.

On July 26th left France for Italy entrained at Foulain after a ten mile hike there. The next three days were traveling by rail going thru some of the largest tunnels in the world and thru several large cities enroute.

We arrived in Torin Italy Sat. July 30th and unloading and marched thru the city. We were lauded by the people and given a regular greeting meeting several American civilians on vacations who couldn't get back to the States on account of war. We went back on the trains after marching around the city and here the Ladies Society of this city served us sandwiches and coffee and candy also chewing tobacco and cigarettes. We left as the Italian’s band played the Star Spangle Banner and the people stood along the track and with heads bare cheered us to the cars where clear thru the town. We continued the trip on in to Villa Franco where we quartered for about two weeks, we were also met here by the people with outstretched arms and the streets were strewn with flowers. we were met by the Red Cross here and were helped to sandwiches and coffee and cigarettes. we put the next two weeks in drilling.

MacerFuneral1aOn Monday Aug 12th attended the funeral of the first casualty in the regiment since coming abroad. [Private Wilbert D. Macer, Co. C died of dysentery August 11, 1918]

On Tuesday Aug 13th, left Villa-Franco for Valleggio a distance of ten kilometers and opened up a Camp just outside of the town.

Sunday July [Aug] 18th went on leave to Verona, about twenty-miles and took in some of the most picturesque sights in the world, visited the Romeo Juliet tomb there also saw several other historic places.

On Aug. 20th received my first letter from Francis addressed to the A.E.F.

Aug 24th Officers put on big drunk including the Colonel, also big minstrel show on book. Our turn follows.

Monday night August 27 minstrel show on again for enlisted men sgts. and corps. some good eats, including water melon cheeze sandwitches Champagne and beer from the wood. No taps to-night for the first time since coming to army.

Tuesday morning Aug 28th raining like the devil, in luck no drill.

Aug 29th went to bombing range

Aug 30th out hiking in the morning. another hike this p.m. up the Alps.

Aug 31- Drill.

Sept 1st Lesson by the Italians on formations for attack machine gun emplacement, also practice throwing hand grenades, this same work on thru till the 8th.

Custoza RLShade

Sept. 8, showed the Italians up on shooting. L. Co. had best all-around fire.

Sept 9th Sunday - Regimental field meet to-day Our battalion walked away with all honors

Monday Sept going to trenches for 48 hours had picture taking this morning

Sept 11. In the trenches nothing doing, only standing guard. over the top twice and come back with hat full grapes.

Sept. 12th Still in trenches, Italians attack with smoke bombs and blank cartridges, we were not allowed to fire back.


Sept. 13th Accident at Valleggio trench mortar shell bursted, killing four instantly, two hurt seriously dyeing on way to hospital and forty wounded painfully
[Clayton S. Gochnauer #2427682; John R. Jones #1943411; Frank J. Simon #1949120 and Anthony J.Bentley #1950077] [Lt. Marion Carter, “M” Co]

Sept 14th Hiked ten kilometers to Villa Franco to attend the funeral of the unfortunate men at Valleggio. stood at attention in the hot sun 1 hour and forty minutes.

Sept. 15. Bentley of headquarters Co. died to-day from injuries received at the bombing range.

Sept. 16th Drill this A.M. heard that a private on the western front received 237 wounds from a trench mortar shell explosion

Sept. 18 Went to rifle range and as L. Co. did the best in the regiment.

Sept. 19. out for field mannovers advance under barrage 3 inch guns and trench mortars. trench mortars bursted over my head but luck was with me, shakey tho.

Sept 20th Italian holiday. Went to Lake Garda at Pesstaiara.

Sept 21 practice hike without a drop of water.

Sept. 22nd Hiked five miles to Italian mannovers.

Sept 23thd out for field mannovers, advance under barrage trench mortars and 3 inch guns, one man killed by machine gun. [Wojeiech Bialy # 2427866] this makes a total of 7 killed

Sept. 24th Rifle inspection in the rain, some class to this man's army, eh.

Sept 25 hike with full pack about 100 pounds and no water.

Sept. 26, Out for mannovers, one wounded.

Sept 27. Drill

Sept 28. Hike

Sept 29 Rest.

Sept 30. Big inspection of all equipment.

Oct. 1. Ready to leave Valleggio.

Oct. 2. Left Valleggio for Treviso. Treviso just eight Kilometers from front line.

Oct 5 Eight Kilometers from front line, big offensive coming soon.

Oct 6th Out for drill but ready to move out at a minutes notice. The next two weeks spent in getting ready for action.

Oct 20th English troops (3 divisions) move in to Treviso preparatory to starting the drive

Oct. 21. Started drive, we were now packed ready to move out instantly English depending on our regiment for reinforcements in preference to the entire Italian reserves.

Oct 23 English captured Island in the Piave, a fete tried many times by the Italians but never accomplished.

Oct. 24th Hiking

Oct. 25 Hiking

Oct. 26 Hiking

Oct. 27 Rest but still ready to move out.

Oct. 28th Left Treviso for front line 12:00 midnight.

Oct 29. In camp just back of the Piave

Oct. 30th On guard ready to go over top

Oct. 31. First chance to get in battle for the regiment, but the Austrians didn't make a stand but retreated so fast no chance to get a crack at them. We were still on the move chasing the enemy. no real food since noon Oct 31, outside of hard tack and monkey meat.

Nov. 1 Still hiking without food.

Nov. 2nd Still on march without food (forced march)

Nov. 3 Still on march without food.

Nov. 4th Started on march again at 10:00 A.M. Our regiment [had] their first battle the night of Nov. 3thd and morning of Nov. 4th one killed. the Americans won the battle and kept pushing the enemy on back across the Tagliamento river We still went forward and on the bank of the Tagliamento river were informed of an armistice existing between the Austrian Government and the Allies We pitched camp where we were per orders of armistice.

Nov. 5 Broke camp and moved into Billets at Valvasone

Nov. 6 Started on across Italy towards Trieste crossing the Tagliamento river about 3:00 P.M. Nov. 6th and then hiking all that night till 5:00 a.m. the next morning. A total of 29 miles in 18 hours marching. here we rested two hours and at 7:00 oclock the morning of Nov. 7th hiked a distance of 10 more miles and bileted for the night in a little town called Lovaria, all in and hungry as a wolf. on our last 10 miles several dropped out exhausted and one dropped dead in ranks from over exertion.

Nov. 8th Pitched camp in a field remained here the next four days

Oct. 12 Moved on towards Trieste about 15 Kilometers and camped again for the night in an old deserted Austrian amunition shed.

Nov. 13th Hiked to Cormons, 3 K. and started camp in an old Austrian Hospital, here we got our first real meal that is half way fit to eat at least fresh meat. We also received the official news that Germany had asked for peace or that is apparently surrendered.

Nov. 14, Rest.

Nov. 15 Rest.

Nov. 16 Rifle inspection and bunk also.

Nov. 17 Nothing doing.

Sunday, Nov. 18 Left Cormons for Fiume Austria, a distance of about 106 K.

the night of Nov. 17 saw our first snowfall since being in Europe outside of snow on the mountains its the first snow.

Return to 332 Infantry Soldier Profiles of Service-page 2