transition01.jpg
transition03.jpg
Belvedere-Stone-View-3.jpg
Belvedere-to-Sculpture.jpg
Belvedere-Stone-View-1.jpg
Rendering-2.jpg
Rendering-3A.jpg
Rendering-4.jpg
Rendering-5.jpg
Terrace-Planters2.jpg
_P3_3855_250118-Edit_250118.jpg
_P3_3934_250118_250118.jpg
_P3_3941_250118_250118.jpg
previous arrow
next arrow

American Indians in WWI

Filters
Geolocalisation bp
  • Dedication Date: July 2008
  • Andrea Wilbur-Sigo
Squaxin Island Reservation
98584 Shelton
WA
USA

This memorial site is located on a forested site in-between the Elders Center and Tribal Museum. The Veterans Memorial is a small ceremonial gathering space representing Squaxin Island, the symbolic heart of the Squaxin Island Tribe who are also known as the People of the Water.

Seven water pools, representing the Tribe’s traditional lands comprised of seven watersheds in south Puget Sound, radiate out from the center space. Each water pool is a setting for a cluster of bronze paddles, each bearing the name of a veteran. A carved wood house post portal created by tribal artist Andrea Wilbur-Sigo marks the entrance to the gathering space. Informal paths meander through the pools and native landscape, with benches for resting and quiet contemplation. The Veterans Committee also brought a large petroglyph boulder originally from Harstene Island, and it is now sited on the memorial grounds. Other elements include a flag plaza and interpretive displays with oral history storytelling and plant names in the Lushootseed language.

4384 WI-70
54893 Webster
WI
USA

The St. Croix Chippewa Veterans Memorial is located in the Hertel RV Park, near the St. Croix Casino in Webster, Wisconsin. The memorial is made of black granite stone. Inscribed atop the front of the memorial is the St. Croix seal. Under the seal are inscribed the individual veteran’s names. And along the bottom is an inscription which reads: “The St. Croix Chippewa Indians dedicates this memorial to honor all the men and women who served in the United States armed forces. Many chi migwetches ‘big thank you’ to you and your families.”

On the back-side of the memorial are the seals of the branches of the military, the POW-MIA logo, and an image of a spear, with a military helmet on-top, crossed with an M-16 rifle, with a ceremonial headdress on-top.

  • Dedication Date: 2002

This memorial site is dedicated to all Mohican veterans. The plaque bearing the dedication reads:

“A Memorial before the Great Spirit
to all veterans
who served – who fought – who died – who returned and carry on
Dedicated by the Mohican veterans
2002”

  • Memorial Hunters Club Submission: Robert Shay, PH3, USNR-R, 1964-70
NE South Street
98392 Suquamish
WA
USA

Corner of: NE South Street & Suquamish Way NE
Port Madison Reservation, WA 98392

The Veterans Memorial was designed to honor local native and non-native individuals who have served in the armed forces. The site overlooks the Community House and has views to Mt. Rainier and the waters of Agate Pass. At its heart of the design are four House Posts carved by a local tribal artist Andrea Sigo. These House Posts welcome visitors to view the granite canoes, located on a low wall with names of local service members. The site offers the perfect context for one Suquamish myth “Sea to Sky,” the same quote that was carved in a previous Totem commissioned and located on this site during the 1960 Seattle World’s Fair.

Shelter Bay Dr.
98257 La Conner
WA
USA

This memorial is located within the Swinomish Veterans Cemetery. It is made of black granite and bears the names of WWI and WWII veterans.

This memorial is dedicated to Mathew B. Juan, a Pima Indian who enlisted under the name Mathew B. Rivers and was the first American Indian, and the first Arizonan, to be killed in World War I on May 28th, 1918, at the Battle of Cantigny, France, the first American offensive operation of the war.

  • Dedication Date: 2014
79907 El Paso
TX
USA

This memorial is located outside of the Tigua Business Center. It is a semi-circular wall bearing bricks inscribed with veterans names, branch, and years, of service. 

  • Bench
Choctaw County
OK
USA

The Tobias W. Frazier Code Talker Bridge (Raymond Gary Lake Bridge) is located on US-70.

2331 Old Tulalip Rd
98271 Tulalip
WA
USA

This memorial site consists of five grey granite memorial stones. The middle stone bears an inscription which reads: “Veterans Recognition Wall. In memory of those who have served.” Below are the various seals of the military and the image of a whale with an inscription atop it which reads: “Tulalip Tribes.” Below are inscribed two lists of names for the KIA-MIA and Gold Star Mothers.

The four other stones bear the names of Tulalip veterans.

  • Dedication Date: 01/27/1938
3219 Drake Street Rd.
14125 Oakfield
NY
USA

VFW Post 273 was established in honor of Ira Spring, a Seneca Indian from the Tonawanda Nation of Native Americans. In April 1918, Ira was accepted by the draft board and sent to Camp Dix, NJ. Two months later he deployed overseas with Company B, 147th Infantry. On August 31, 1918, news reached home that Ira was missing in action in France and confirmed killed in action a couple of day later. Ira was one of 800 Native Americans from New York state to serve in the war, and the only one killed in action.

  • Bench
Pushmataha County
OK
USA

The Victor Brown Code Talker Bridge is located on SH-3 -- about 2,000 feet west of Oleta. 

  • Memorial Hunters Club Submission: Robert Shay, PH3, USNR-R, 1964-70
42487 Complex Blvd.
59855 Pablo
MT
USA

Made of black granite, the Warrior Memorial is 10 feet tall, and it’s human figures are close to life-size. 
At the memorial’s highest point is an eagle’s head. The eagle is a symbol of strength, says Corwin “Corky” Clairmont, the memorial’s designer and Art Director at Salish Kootenai College since 1984.
The eagle’s wings span the length of the memorial, enclosing a series of images, including those of 2 bison and 2 warriors. One of those figures is a warrior woman. An infant n a cradleboard hangs off the saddle horn, and the Woman Warrior riding the horse is holding an Eagle fan. Listed on the walls are the names of more than 1,200 men and women (Native and non-Native) from the Flat Head Reservation who have served in the military.

Dedicated: July 14, 2010

  • Dedication Date: Nov. 11, 1991

The Wichita & Affiliated Tribes Veterans Memorial is located outside of their headquarters in Anadarko.

The monument is made of grey granite and the inscription of dedication reads:

“Wichita Warriors Memorial

Tribal members who have served

in the United States armed forces

Dedicated November 11, 1991”

Beneath this dedication are the names of some 100 veterans from the Wichita Affiliated Tribes. The names of those who served in WWI are: “George Ashley, Roy Lefthand, George H. May, George Miller, Elwood Scott, Julius C. Smith, Oscar Stephens, Nuss Stephenson, and John W. Wolfe.”

Veterans Memorial Park
54494 Wisconsin Rapids
WI
USA

This memorial consists of a small stone located near the east riverbank of the Wisconsin River in Veterans Memorial Park. And it was dedicated by the Daughters of the American Revolution (DAR) in 1919.

                          

The stone bears an inscription which reads:

“Ah-Dah-Wa-Gam Chapter

D. A. R.

In recognition of the Loyalty & Patriotism of the Winnebago Indians

☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Corporal Foster DeCorah

Robert DeCorah · Jesse Thompson

Mike Standing Water · Dewey Mike

Nelson R. DeLaRonde · James Greengrass

1919”